Thursday 9 February 2012

#47 The New Love Of My Life... The Amazon Kindle!

If you're a religious reader of Beautiful Nellies you will know that I am such a book worm and constantly have my head in a good book. When the Amazon Kindle came out I was dead set against it, because nothing beats looking in book stores for a new book and reading the blurbs to find out what they're all about (I know I'm really sad!) I was also against the Kindle because I generally enjoy the satisfaction of holding a book in your hands and as you carry on reading and turing the pages you can see how close to the end you are! - Yes, I think that I have discovered that I am actually very sad. So those were my reasons for being against the Amazon Kindle - it just doesn't classify as reading a book.
But then over Christmas something happened which I didn't think ever would, I was talking to someone about the Kindle and became very curious. They themselves were a dedicated book fan until someone brought them the Kindle for Christmas and they told me they haven't looked back since! I became curiouser and curiouser! The books I checked out are actually sometimes a lot cheaper! And it was also solve the awkward in bed reading position, as I always suffer from arm ache when trying to read before going to sleep, and the Kindle is a lot lighter than a book so a comfortable position would be easily achieveable! So after looking into it all, curiosity got the better of me and I clicked that last 'confirm purchase' and brought my Kindle. I decicded if I didn't like it there would always be someone else who would buy it from me.
A few days later this came poking through my letterbox, and I just fell in love! (WARNING: PICTURE HEAVY)





The Kindle is such a sleek looking device, I just want to take it everywhere with me and show it off! As soon as I opened it I set it up following the instruction booklet, which gave really clear, simple instructions making it easy for even blondes like me! As soon as the Kindle had life in it, I went on to Amazon and brought some books, again that process is really simple - it doesn't have instructions on how to download the books but from the webiste it is pretty self explanatory. The kindle also works really well if you have wifi as you are able to get onto the Amazon website and download the books straight onto your Kindle. The actual Kindle function is also really simple with just a few buttons to navigate your way through the homescreen to the books.



The buttons at the bottom of the Kindle help my navigate your way through it, getting onto the home screen and flicking through books. It also has a button which produces a kepboard when browsing on the internet. The text font can also be changed and the size can be increased. I even have a comfortable lying down position when I'm reading. Another reason why I liked books more was because you could see how close the end you were, but with the Kindle it gives you a percentage, which I guess isn't actually that bad. But the biggest bonus for me has to be the fact that it just slips into my handbag and doesnt weigh very much at all, meaning I can ALWAYS take it with me where ever I go.

So what are you thoughts on the Kindle or do you even have one?
I just want to share another little idea of mine... As i did collect books massivly, I have no need for them and still have loads unread. Would people be interested if maybe each week I did a book giveaway to perhaps encourage more people to read or try different genres? Let me know what you think and have a good evening!


8 comments:

  1. Haha I was exactly the same, for the exact same reasons!! But when someone got one at christmas I also go curious and I ended up getting one for my birthday - I still don't think I'll stop books all togther, but I am definately in love with my kindle! Nice decision! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just like you, I'm all for books and holding them in my hands etc but recently I've been taken with curiosity, my dad got a Kindle for christmas and now I am slowly coming round to the idea! I think the fact you can have 3 or 4 books in your bag at one time is so good! I've also seen some very pretty kindle cases xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would love one of these !!
    love your blog, im a new follower ... hope you can visit / follow my page sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want Kindle so I will save more space in my room for other things than books. I might buy it before summer so It will be nicer to carry around flights etc. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had my Kindle for about two months now, and I really haven't looked back! I can't wait to cram it full of books and take it on long distance travels this summer! x

      Delete
  5. Same as you, I was dead set against the Kindle too, but my parents got me the same one as you have for Christmas. It's very handy, and like you said, it's cheaper for many titles too. Confession though... I still buy 'real' books as well as virtual! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving my kindle and so handy rather than carrying a heavy book around. However, I do buy them too! There is just something so nice about a new book! xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs